Homeowners considering a remodel to their home or adding improvements such as decks, roofs, garage or retaining walls, often have questions about building permits. As a first step, here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. The City of Mountlake Terrace requires permits for building and remodeling activities. Permit application forms for building permits, engineering construction and land use approval, as well as checklists, are provided in a printable format. Permits for Single Family Residential Re-roof, Plumbing and Mechanical can be submitted and viewed online here.
The Permit Contact Information Form is required with all permits. The information on the Permit Contact Information Form will accompany all completed checklists. Permit Contact Information. When signing the permit applications, you are certifying that you are the owner of record of the named property, or that the proposed work is authorized by the owner of record and that you have been authorized by the owner to make this application as his/her authorized agent.
Permit Staff Services & Hours
Mondays 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Tuesdays - Fridays 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Because each construction project is unique, we invite you to contact a Permit Specialist to answer your specific permitting questions. Permit Specialists can be reached at 425-744-6267. You can also email your questions to email@example.com.
Once the forms are complete, you may submit by hand-delivery, mail or courier to Interim City Hall, 6100 219th Street SW, Suite 200, Mountlake Terrace
It is important to provide all required documentation with the permit application. Please refer to the applicable checklist. The required fee(s), payable by cash or check, will be due at the time the permit application is submitted. If you have specific questions or suggestions, please call 425-744-6278.
- Permit Contact Information - Required with all permits
- Adult Family Home Permit
- Building Permit - Commercial/Multi-Family
- Building Permit - Commercial/Multi-Family Intake Checklist
- Building Permit - Single Family Residential Building
- Building Permit - Single Family Residential Intake Checklist
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Demolition Permit Application and Filing Requirements
- Electrical Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application and Guidelines
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Noise Variance Application
- Plumbing Application
- Shed Application Less Than 200 Square Feet
- Solar Permit Application and Checklist
- Stormwater Guidelines, Redevelopment (PDF)
- Stormwater Guidelines, New Development (PDF)
- Stormwater, Low Impact Development (LID) Checklist (PDF)
- Structure Moving Permit
- Building, Electrical and Fire Permit Fees 2020
Fire - Related Information
State Building Code Council (SBCC) fees applicable to all building permits will be as follows:
- Residential Building Permits: $6.50 fee to the SBCC for each building permit
- Commercial Building Permits: $25.00 fee to the SBCC for each building permit. An additional surcharge of $2.00 will be applied for each residential unit after the first unit.