During the implementation of Phase 2 Construction Restart, all permit applications will begin to be accepted at this time. Note: Permit processing times have increased. Please expect 2-3 business days for permit application to be processed. Inspections are consistently scheduled 2-3 days after request as well. Permit applications are listed below. Compliance to COVID-19 mandates has created longer processing times for permits. Submission of permits will be handled in the following manner:
|City Website Portal||Mail/Drop-off*||Appointment Required with Permit Specialist|
*Permit specialist will contact with confirmation of receipt and invoice fees due to begin processing
Implementation of Phase 2 Construction Restart allows for scheduling of inspections. Your project must have issued permits on-site, require workers to be six-feet apart, and have a developed exposure control, mitigation, and recovery plan*. To schedule an inspection, call 425-775-9694. Please have your permit number and address ready when you call.
*Washington State Department of Labor & Industries will enforce requirements for contractors to comply with comprehensive COVID-19 exposure control, mitigation, recovery plans and safety practices.
Homeowners considering a remodel to their home or adding improvements such as decks, roofs, garage or retaining walls, often have questions about building permits. As a first step, here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. The City of Mountlake Terrace requires permits for building and remodeling activities.
The Permit Contact Information Form is required with all permits. When signing the permit applications, you are certifying that you are the owner of record of the named property, or that the proposed work is authorized by the owner of record and that you have been authorized by the owner to make this application as his/her authorized agent.
Permit Staff Services & Hours
Mondays 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Tuesdays - Fridays 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Because each construction project is unique, we invite you to contact a Permit Specialist to answer your specific permitting questions. Permit Specialists can be reached at 425-744-6267 or email@example.com.
It is important to provide all required documentation with the permit application. Please refer to the applicable checklist. The required fee(s) are due at the time the permit application is submitted. If you have specific questions or suggestions, please call. or email.
- Permit Contact Information - Required with all permits
- Adult Family Home Permit Application and Checklist
- Building Permit - Commercial/Multi-Family
- Building Permit - Commercial/Multi-Family Submittal Checklist
- Building Permit - Single Family Residential Building
- Building Permit - Single Family Residential Submittal Checklist
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Demolition Permit Application and Filing Requirements
- Electrical Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application and Guidelines
- Low Impact Development Checklist
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Noise Variance Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Re-Roof Permit & Checklist for Commercial and Residential
- Shed Application and Guidelines
- Solar Permit Application and Checklist
- Stormwater Guidelines, Redevelopment (PDF)
- Stormwater Guidelines, New Development (PDF)
- Structure Moving Permit
- Building, Electrical and Fire Permit Fees 2020
- Temporary Outdoor Use Permit
Fire - Related Information
State Building Code Council (SBCC) fees applicable to all building permits will be as follows:
- Residential Building Permits: $6.50 fee to the SBCC for each building permit
- Commercial Building Permits: $25.00 fee to the SBCC for each building permit. An additional surcharge of $2.00 will be applied for each residential unit after the first unit.